Monday, September 1, 2014

Complete: Queue Jumper Dress

Hello all! I have to confess, it's going to be a bit of a rush job of a post this time, since life is pretty frantic at the moment (three days till school production...). But what with the show, and two weeks of family holidays starting next week (hurrah!!), if I don't sneak a post in tonight it's not going to happen for ages.

I've dubbed this my Queue Jumper Dress for good reason - it inveigled its way up the sewing and bloggy queues. Last week we had the chance of a night out at the theatre, and after three solid months of very unselfish sewing, I grabbed the opportunity of a free evening to sew purely for moi. Plus, all my recent (well, recent-ish) sewing for myself has been purely practical - it was time was for a bit of fun!

Enter Burda 6919. A (to my mind) 70s inspired, drapey, blouson, batwing sleeved knit dress. With, I admit, very little hanger appeal...



I found this black and gold lurex knit at my local favourite fabric store. It's lovely and sparkly, without being too much so - maybe "gleamy" is a better word. (Albeit a specially coined one.) I cut out the size 10 without any alterations, but I think next time I might size down one size.


Since I didn't have a belt to wear with it that really suited, I made up a self fabric tie to sit over the elasticated waist; I just think it looks a bit more finished that way.


 There does seem to be a bit of an odd fold at the back lower waist, but I'm not sure whether that's because the fabric is sticking to my tights... It doesn't seem to happen when I'm wearing heels, but it's still boots-and-tights weather here at the moment!


It went together very easily, almost all of it done on the overlocker, although despite several attempts this fabric was having nothing to do with twin needle stitching of any kind. I got around that (on sleeve cutouts and all hems) with a zigzag stitch.

As much as I like the design, I do have two niggles with the pattern as drafted. Firstly, the neckband piece is the same length as the neckline itself. Now, this had me a bit concerned as I came to sew it - surely that would make the neckband stick out?? - but thought I'd follow instructions and see whether I couldn't learn something new. So I did it as per the instructions, and guess what? The neckband stuck out.

This stuff is beyond hideous to unpick, so after a bit of thought, I folded the band down over the right side of the neckline and top stitched it down.


 
It's still doesn't sit perfectly flat, but it's a huge improvement on what it was! And with my new my-present-to-me necklace sitting over the top, no one can tell anyway ;)


The second thing that puzzled me about the pattern was the waistline. It has diagonal pleats extending up over the bodice and down the skirt, which I really liked. But I think they get a bit lost when the elastic is sewn to them on the underside. I'm wondering whether it wouldn't work better to have the elastic begin and end either side of the pleats instead? I'd like to try this pattern again in a more casual fabric and see. I'm thinking a navy jersey would make a pretty nice comfy-but-presentable spring weather dress.


I still have enough fabric over for a MariaDenmark Kimono Tee, which I've been meaning to try out for a while now. I'm fairly sure it won't happen before holidays next week though....

To be honest, I don't know just how much wear this one will get - there's not a lot of call for sparkly dresses in day to day wear. But oh! it felt good to do some selfish and frivolous sewing for a change!

What's your current project? Purely practical or frivolously fun??

12 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous dress. How can it look so plain on the hanger and so fantastic on? I really hope you have the chance to wear this dress out somewhere special as this dress deserves to be worn. Love it, and yes to a navy version too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really think navy would work! Isn't it fascinating how much fabric can change the look of a pattern?

      Delete
  2. This is lovely!
    My latest project is fun and practical, I'm finishing Staple dresses for the gals I worked with at camp this summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun and practical sounds like the best of both worlds! Lucky gals...

      Delete
  3. Ohhh!!! Perfect match of pattern and fabric - I do love a drapey, shiny, cut-outy statement dress! ;) Come to Frocktails - it's perfect ;) I'm finishing off a silk sarong (oh, ok, it's V1310) & recklessly cropping the metallic lace top ;)p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds gorgeous! Look forward to seeing it :) One day I'll make it to Frocktails....

      Delete
  4. So glamorous and fun! It looks a million dollars on you, especially with that beautiful necklace! Good luck with the production! Next major project on my list is a vintage 70's jacket..... A definite queue jumper as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 70's jackets are the best! I made a modified version of the pattern my mum used for her going away outfit 5 years ago and it's still a favourite. I love the 70's....

      Delete
  5. Ooh! I love this. So glam, but subtley so. It's the perfect fabric, and the necklace is amazing with it. Hope you had a lovely night out (I remember those... ��). Good luck for the production! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll have nights out again eventually! In the meantime I hope you can be enjoying lots of baby snuggles and toddler deliciousness...

      Delete
  6. Very nice. I love the soft drape of it. Sometimes the patterns aren't perfect. Follow your intuition next time ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I will! It's a bit of a confidence boost, actually ;)

      Delete